Sunday, April 3, 2011

A few things to start

Hello all, there are a few things I'd like to share before we embark on the journey and evolution of the Puerto Rican migrant. My hope is that this blog will be used as a forum to express and discuss our feelings, thoughts, and experiences as a people who before now, has kept a quiet voice and suffered in silence many injustices, prejudices, and acts of oppression. Yet, despite our struggles we are a people filled with love, compassion, strong family values and an enormously rich cultural history. 

We are a people who celebrate our ancestors and are filled with pride whenever the Puerto Rican spirit moves us... whether its a song that reminds us of "el jibarito" or the smell of "sofrito" that brings us back to our grandmother's kitchen...a tradition or holiday that makes us melonchaly remembering days gone... we still are moved, still brought to tears, and still proud to be Puerto Rican. Sadly, as time goes on, our memories fail us, we become caught up in the day to day happenings, or we just decide not to share our experiences because we think no one will listen... whatever the case, I challenge us today as a people to come together in the name of "los pioneros" and tell our very REAL stories and our very REAL struggles... and ultimately wave our very REAL internal flags, not just on Parade Day but everyday.

On a side note, while researching for this project, I went to my local library to gather some resources and guess what I found??? NOTHING!!! Not a single book, or article, or anything written in print at that library about the migration of our people... African Americans, had a whole section, Chinese, Italians, Russians, you name it.... but not us... "nada" (nad a damn thing). I know that if I had gone to the Central Library, El Barrio Museum, or the Puerto Rican Studies section of Hunter College Library, I'd find many things... but I ask myself how is this possible? Are we invisible? For me, that lack of information and the lack of acknowledgement of our people speaks volumes, and represents a sense of unimportance.  I don't know about you but I'm tired of being quiet. That docile Taino spirit needs to rise up in us and make some noise already!!!!

6 comments:

El Gringo said...

Hi Michelle,
I wish I could add some Real Puerto Rican perspective to this, but I'm only honorary. :(
Good luck with it! Keep on rising!
Love,
Lee

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog Michelle. Like Lee, Im not PR either but its interesting to read and learn about history and different cultures. And I can read it to Angel so he can learn about his people.. Keep up the great work

Unknown said...

Great blog Michelle. I can't get my son interested in anything puertorican, but we've been reading ur blog together. Great job!!!!!

Cynthia said...

I hear you loud and clear. When I lived in Hayward,CA it was really hard to find PRican products at the supermarket. I had to go to the mexican markets to find my recaito, adobo and bacalaitos... :)Now that I'm in Michigan, I have to go to certain supermarkets to find my stuff, feels like I'm the only PRican here... So lonely...

Nicolasa said...

As your cousin and your friend I give you a lot of love and credit for embarking on this journey. Clearly in a matter of only a few days and a few blog posts you are already bringing people together. That is inspiring. Of course I can't wait until you write about the Ayalas but nonetheless I am quite intrigued by this journey and look forward to participating. This is the link to Val's father's book. He is having another published later this year. I am going to send him the link to your blog. http://www.amazon.com/Georges-Woke-Laughing-Long-Distance-Interactions/dp/0822327910

Michelle G. said...

Thanks for your comments!!! Keep 'em coming!